Arbortext On Demand Training
Here at Single-Sourcing Solutions, we always talk about the ease of use and the out-of-the box advantages to Arbortext suite of products. Arbortext is a mature platform: The entire set of tools works together.
The possibilities are enormous for anyone who wants to do new, interesting, over-the-top things with their product information. Of course, for us this comes as second nature, but for those of you out there who are new to the eco-system, it may not be so apparent.
You’ll find knowledgeable mechanics leading the instruction here. You’ll find videos and books full of information you can learn from. Many of our shop coaches have been working with the product for a decade or more. Put on your shop coat, because here we go….
In the first ever commercially-available books about Arbortext, you’ll find advice from a long-time Arbortext user, developer, and well-known community member. The Arbortext Monster Garage book series is designed to help Arbortext users learn the basics for best practices using Arbortext software. These books describe an easy-to-follow approach which offers practical tips and pointers enabling readers to quickly get started developing dynamic and multi-channel content using Arbortext.
- Arbortext 101: Best Practices for Configuring, Authoring, Styling, and Publishing Content with Arbortext. 2016. Single-Sourcing Solutions, Inc. for Kindle and Print
- Arbortext 102: Best Practices for Creating Arbortext Styler Stylesheets. 2016. Single-Sourcing Solutions, Inc. for Kindle and Print
- Arbortext 103: Best Practices for Configuring, Managing, and Publishing Arbortext Content with the PTC Server. 2016. Single-Sourcing Solutions, Inc. for Kindle and Print(Coming 2017)
- Arbortext 104: Omnibus, vol 1. 2017. Single-Sourcing Solutions, Inc. for Kindle and Print(in progress)
An Original Web Series
Season One: Introducing Arbortext
In Season One, we introduced the main components of the Arbortext product suite: Editor, Styler, IsoDraw, Arbortext Content Manager, Publishing Engine, and the Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher. Videos from this season are available on our website for free.
- Episode 1: Let Your Illustrations Do The Talking
- Episode 2: CPR for Your Product Information
- Episode 3: Arbortext for Authoring: So Easy A Child Can Do It!
- Episode 4: Synchronize Product Information with Product Development
- Episode 5: DITA Style in Arbortext. It’s Easy!
- Episode 6: Automating High-Quality Output
- Episode 7: Under-the-hood Multimedia Publishing
Season Two: Arbortext Monster Garage
In Season Two, we focused on the million “Uber Geeky” things you can do in Arbortext. Arbortext is open: The entire UI and publishing pipeline is 100% available through a well-tested API. The Arbortext Monster Garage videos feature this Open API and the “geeky” things you can do with it. Videos from this season are available on YouTube.
- Episode 1: Pop the Hood—Get Started with Arbortext Editor in 20 Minutes (A History Lesson) [YouTube]
- Episode 2: Those Devious Authors! Simplifying the Authoring Process for New Users [YouTube]
- Episode 3: Amping up the Ignition—Customizing your Startup sequence [YouTube]
- Episode 4: Stupid DCF Tricks for Your Pleasure [YouTube]
- Episode 5: Fine-Tuning— Tricking out Styler with Advanced Print Publisher Source Edits [YouTube]
- Episode 6: Custom Decals—Inline SVG with APP in Arbortext Styler [YouTube]
- Episode 7: A Trip to the XUI—Basic XUI Dialogs [YouTube]
- Episode 8: Cafe con UI—Integrating XUI Dialogs with a Java backend [YouTube]
- Episode 9: Power User’s Toolkit—ACL Preliminaries [YouTube]
- Episode 10: Rip Your ACL—Basic authoring automation [YouTube]
- Episode 11: Back Office—Hack Your Interactive Technical Content [YouTube]
- Episode 12: Where Are My Keys—Improving Your Search Results in Online Content [YouTube]
- Episode 13: Fuel Injection—Creating Dynamic Documents with Arbortext Data Merge [YouTube]
- Episode 14: Front Office—Creating Published Documents from Arbortext Content Manager [YouTube]
- Episode 15: Parts Store—Lessons Learned in Managing Content in the Windchill Environment [YouTube]
- Episode 16: aQuery—Using jQuery in Arbortext [YouTube]
- Episode 17: Using XSLT in Arbortext Editor [YouTube]
- Episode 18: Using Arbortext with the DITA Open ToolKit (how it works) [YouTube]
Season Three: Arbortext Styler
In Season Three, we delved deep into Arbortext Styler and print publishing. These videos are recordings of webinars given in the Arbortext TC Dojo. The recordings show the components in Styler and how to make use of each one. Videos from this season are available on our Vimeo channel: Arbortext On-Demand.
- Episode 1: Bringing Reusability to Your Stylesheets
- Episode 2: Best Practices for Arbortext Workspaces in ACM and Windchill
- Episode 3: Fancy Formatting of XML Tables in PDF Output
- Episode 4: Localizing Your Stylesheets: XLIFF in Arbortext Styler
- Episode 5: Advanced Modules: Managing DocBook and DITA
- Episode 6: Managing Side-By-Side Content
- Episode 7: Stylesheet Reuse Basics: Property Sets
- Episode 8: Styling Headers and Footers in Arbortext Styler
- Episode 9: Building Your First Stylesheet: A Look at Modules
- Episode 10: Creating Cool Covers in Arbortext Styler
- Episode 11: Creating Your Page Set in 30 Minutes
- Episode 12: DITA Keys and Conkeys in Arbortext
- Episode 13: How to Use Change Tracking in Arbortext
- Episode 14: Changing the DocBook New File Template
- Episode 15: Changing the DITA New File Template
- Special: Working with DITA Maps in Arbortext (free)
Season Four: Arbortext 101
Season Four is in progress. Episodes will be based on Arbortext 101 (book). Season Four will be a video version of the book.
Season Five: Arbortext 102
Season Five is in progress. Episodes will be based on Arbortext 102 (book). Season Five will be a video version of the book.
How to Access the Video Content
Season 1 and Specials are available for free on YouTube. All other videos are available to the public through individual title rental or monthly subscription on Vimeo.
Corporate members of the TC Dojo Mastermind and individual members of the Arbortext Mastermind group can access all of the videos for free on the membership site.